Re: [PHP] Standard placement of PHP libraries?

hi steve,

just going to jump in here...

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 02:10:45PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > I'm also not really sure where else it could belong.
>
> Uh, debian-devel would be the appropriate list for open development-related
> discussions that don't otherwise have an associated list.

my impression was that we were getting deep enough into the minutia that
discussing things elsewhere was more appropriate.  also, this is a topic
that has been periodically brought up in the past for somewhere around
2 years on with absolutely zero result, so the fact that it's gathering
some momentum somewhere is imo a good thing.

> > >AFAIK, none of the comaintainers of the actual PHP packages
> > > are subscribed to that list.

the plan is to get things together enough that we have a respectable
draft, which we will develop with a certain degree of feedback from
the affected parties in question.  for example, i've spoken to at
least a small degree with the package maintainers of php, mysql (for
which you probably recall i'm a comaintainer) and postgresql.

obviously our proposals will be doomed if they do not have the stamp
of approval from the web server, script engine, and db server
maintainers.  i recently detailed an outline for finishing up our
current drafts and soliciting feedback from this first tier of
package maintainers.  once they are happy and the "implementation"
code is in place, we'll take it to a 2nd tier group of developers (those
who actually manage web applications), then back to d-d for a more general
discussion and review, and if we're still a viable project at that point
the policy folks.

> That's all well and good, but a policy that doesn't have the backing of the
> maintainers of the engine that has to support it doesn't seem like it would
> be particularly useful.

yes.  adam expressed some concern about the development of a php policy
outside the php group (see #250686), but does not seem against the idea
as long as it developed with their consensus.  i can promise you that
there will not be a php policy if it does not meet the approval of
the php maintainers.

	sean