Re: [PHP] Standard placement of PHP libraries?

hey steve,

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 10:51:47AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Why in God's name are you doing that?  The charter for debian-webapps is web
> *application* packages, not "packages implemented in PHP or providing PHP
> bindings that may or may not be used by web application packages".

the ultimate goal for the webapps group is a better integration for
web applications, yes.  while stuff like pear libraries and php
extensions may seem slightly out of the scope of a web application,
they are part of a bigger picture that must be in place for everything
to fit together.

> debian-webapps is absolutely not the right forum for discussing PHP/PEAR
> library policy.  AFAIK, none of the comaintainers of the actual PHP packages
> are subscribed to that list.

i'd be perfectly happy working with comaintainers of such packages, and
doing so in another place if it were made available and there were
another equally motivated group of people to work on it.  but for lack
of a better place, things are starting here with those who are
interested in coming up with a rough draft.

i want to re-iterate (though you may not yet have read my first email if
you use a threaded mta) that this will not and can not be a project
where a sacred scroll of policy will be handed down from above which
must be obeyed.  rather, it will be developed in consensus and cooperation
with all affected parties, which has been our plan all along.

	sean