Re: ldconfig-symlink-missing-for-shlib error

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 01:25 -0400, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
> I am trying to package fortranposix library. I produced some debian
> packages but I am not satisfied with their quality. For example, when I do
>
> $lintian -i libfortranposix0_0.1-1_i386.deb
> E: libfortranposix0: ldconfig-symlink-missing-for-shlib
> usr/lib/libfortranposix.so.0 usr/lib/libfortranposix.so.0.0.0
> libfortranposix.so.0
> N:
> N:   The package should not only include the shared library itself, but
> N:   also the symbolic link which ldconfig would produce. (This is
> N:   necessary, so that the link gets removed by dpkg automatically when
> N:   the package gets removed.) If the symlink is in the package, check
> N:   that the SONAME of the library matches the info in the shlibs file.
> N:
> N:   Refer to Policy Manual, section 8.1 for details.
> N:
>
> I thought ldconfig automatically creates the necessary symbolic links
> provided the postinst, postrm scripts invoke ldconfig properly.

ldconfig does at least two things:

* update the loader cache
* add missing symlinks based on the SONAME store in the library

However it can't remove these symlinks automatically.

Therefore Debian regards the autocreation of the symlinks
as a hack and requires the package to install the proper
symlinks in the usual way, so they can be removed in
the usual way along with the library when the package
is removed.

So ldconfig is called in postinst to update the loader cache,
not to install the symlinks.