Re: Building source packages

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 12:58 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> On 08-Jul-2005, John Skaller wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 21:27 +0200, Christoph Haas wrote:
> > > You may as well use the http://mentors.debian.net service to
> > > upload your work. It will take care of your files and make them
> > > publicly available in a decent repository structure.
> >
> > but
> >
> > (a) it does not provide binary packages
>
> Which is by design; the website is only meant to allow prospective
> developers to show their work to debian-mentors.

I know, I wasn't complaining.

> > (b) apt tools can't build from source
> > Is there a tool which does that?
>
> That's what pbuilder does:
>
>     <URL:http://packages.debian.org/stable/devel/pbuilder>

I don't think this is even close to what I ask for,
although perhaps I misunderstand.

What I am asking for is:

apt-get install fred

and it installs fred. If 'fred' is not available for
my architecture, it is compiled and installed automatically
and transparently. This occurs recursively for all dependencies,
at least up to some base level.

In particular, 'it should just work'  if I simply
remove all 'deb' lines from /etc/apt/source.list,
leaving only 'deb-src'.

pbuilder (a) is designed to work in a chroot and
(b) only builds one package from a .dsc.

Again, if I misunderstand pbuilder please tell me: perhaps it
does the basic work -- what I'm asking for is automation
and transparency.

--
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>
Download Felix: http://felix.sf.net