Re: LessTif conflicts with Motif, doesn't provide Motif, and is required???

John Hendrickson wrote:
> Why in the world did DMs compile KDE to say: You must use LessTif and
> uninstall Motif???

What kde package requires lesstif?  I was unable to locate one using
'apt-cache showpkg lesstif1' and 'apt-cache showpkg lesstif2'.

Note that lesstif1 and lesstif2 implement versions 1 and 2 of the ABI
respectively.  But libmotif is up to version 3 at this time.  That is
probably the source of your problem.  There is no equivalent to the
version 3 ABI available from lesstif at the moment.

> Motif was "here first" and has every right to use "motif" as it's library
> name!  If lesstif doesn't like motif it can change LessTif's lib names to
> lesstif.

The Motif library is not free and does not meet the DSFG (Debian Free
Software Guidelines).  Therefore Debian cannot distribute it in the
main Debian archive.  Because non-free is not part of Debian the Motif
library is also not part of Debian.  There can be no Debian software
in main that depends upon that library.  However the library is
available to users in the non-free section of the depot.

The Lesstif library was written from scratch with the goal to produce
a free software replacement for the Motif library which is not free.
This is not Debian specific.  This was developed to meet the general
need for a free Motif compatible library outside of Debian.  But
Debian does package and distributes it.  It is really that one or none
because there is no other alternative that is free software.

This has nothing to do about the name of the library.  Clearly Motif
was there first.  Lesstif is a joke on that name.  The goal was to
produce a free version of the library and through versions 1 and 2
this works.  But they are lagging behind with version 3.  Such is the
nature of volunteer projects.

> As far as Debian trying to force Motif out of the market and prop up
> LessTif in it's place by making it disfunctional?  It's an insult to all
> unix users.

I think most unix users understand that any group that has "open" in
their name is rarely really open.  The OpenGroup controls the Motif
copyright and has been slow and opening up the source to it.  If you
feel so motivated you might contact them and check on the status of
freeing up the copyright on the the Motif library.

> I see clear patterns of favoritism developing and I dont' like it.

There is a clear pattern of favoritism for free software.  So much so
that Debian voted to change the Social Contract to say "Debian will
remain 100% free".  Because Motif is not free software it cannot be
part of Debian under the current DSFG.  The Social Contract also says
"We will not object to non-free works that are intended to be used on
Debian systems".

Bob