Packages which need themselves to compile?

This isn't directly a Debian packaging question, but it's related, and it may
at some point in the future become a packaging question.

I'm taking on maintainership of a very large and gnarly project, a compiler
toolchain. Parts of the toolchain need other parts to build.

Some parts require *themselves* to build. For example, there's a Bison-like
parser generator called llgen whose input scripts are parsed using an
llgen-generated parser.

How does Debian deal with packages like this? I need to replace the build
mechanism (the current one is being problematic), and as one day I'd like to
make a Debian package of all of this, I want something that's
Debian-friendly.

Is there any better way of going about it than to just check a pre-built
version of the parser into CVS?

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "I smell a rat; I see him forming in the air &
+- www.cowlark.com --+