Re: [AL] Re: Re: FW: language.dat in allegro

On 2005-05-29, Miriam Ruiz <little_miry@yahoo.es> wrote:
> It is a kraptor specific file, that includes the translation of
> the sentences in the game. It should be similar to what in other
> platforms are the .mo files
>
> Right now the game works properly at least, but I had to make
> a horrible hack: adding a setenv() command to define ALLEGRO
> environment variable at the beginning of the code. I wish I could
> find a more elegant solution.

Elias already pointed the more elegant solution. Unfortunately
that solution is only available for 4.1.x and the future 4.2.0
release. Since you are packaging this for Debian, I guess you have
to live with 4.0.x for a while because static linking with the
latest unstable Allegro version might not be desirable.

You might want to check for the presence of the ALLEGRO environment
variable before setting it, bailing out with an error message in
this cause and warning the user about this conflict. Unfortunately
Allegro wasn't correctly designed for i18n and 4.2.0 will still
keep a few minor inconveniences around.