Re: debian/rules: Moving to debhelper or cdbs

Adrian von Bidder wrote on 17/05/2005 21:36:
> On Tuesday 17 May 2005 15.07, Ben Finney wrote:
>
>>I'm surprised that people have consistently read "submit patches" as
>>somehow bypassing the maintainer, or telling him what to do. To whom
>>would I be submitting the patches, if not the maintainer?
>
> If I get a (wishlist) bug on a package I maintain, I read this as 'I think
> the package would get better if you'd do this' - which implies that the way
> the maintainer does things right now is not as good as it could be.

Well, at least you shouldn't feel criticized in a negative way. A
wishlist bug (asking for a change in behaviour of the package, by way of
a new feature or added check or whatever) usually just is a "I guess you
didn't notice this way the package could be improved, no worries, I just
happened to stumble about it". (Hmm, again sounds more negative than I
intended it to sound.) Well, what I mean by that is: (almost) any user
of your package knows that you can't have all possible uses in mind, so
a wishlist bug is just a way to kindly ask to think about yet another use.

Other bug levels are more severe, obviously.

On the other hand, I, too, find a wishlist bug which only covers the way
the binary package is created quite a bit irritating.

> Which, when it comes to things like packaging tools (and, fwiw, build
> systems and some other things), is often very much a question of personal
> preference.

Exactly. Though I see reasons why people might ask you to consider
different ways of packaging (especially if you don't use debhelper), and
particularly if they want to create/use a modified version of your
package (be it for company internal use or for security upgrades when
you are not available). The latter reason obviously would only be valid
if the request comes from qa@debian.org or a similar "institution" ;-)

cu,
sven