Re: Stupid shebang tricks

On 11-May-2005, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 11:07 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > To what extent should that be used? Is it reasonable to do it for
> > *any* shebang line? '#!/usr/bin/env make'? '#!/usr/bin/env bash'?
> > Are there any downsides?
>
> AFAIK you can't pass parameters to the program :
>
> #!/bin/env python --debug
>
> Should work according the man page, but I've never managed to make it
> work - and I'm not sure its portable even if it does.

That would be a downside (and kills it for the primary use I had in
mind, '#!/usr/bin/env perl -w').

Is '/usr/bin/env' part of the POSIX spec? Is its behaviour with regard
to command arguments defined? Where would I find out?

--
 \     "Hey Homer! You're late for English!"  "Pff! English, who needs |
  `\       that? I'm never going to England!"  -- Barney & Homer, _The |