Executable scripts in /usr/share/

On 10-May-2005, Sven Mueller wrote:
> Note that (application specific portions of) /usr/share are often
> mounted even across different types of Unix (derivates). I know of at
> least 4 sites where /usr/share/cups was network-mounted by both Linux
> and Solaris clients.
>
> That's the reason why I usually think of /usr/share as architecture
> indepedent and non-executable data.

The good thing about the (standard?) shebang convention -- using a
first line of '#!/path/to/shell' in the executable file -- is that you
can have executable scripts shared even between different Unices and
architectures. If the named shell exists, it should be able to execute
the script. (If not, that's a bug in the shell or the script.)

That's the only way I know that executable things can be trusted to
work across different Unices and architectures, so it's understandable
where your "non-executable" assumption could arise.

--
 \       "The right to use [strong cryptography] is the right to speak |
  `\                                          Navajo."  -- Eben Moglen |