New maintainer checklist

Howdy mentors,

I'm attempting to start my long slide into package maintainership :-)

There is a wealth of material available on how to be a Debian package
maintainer. I'm trying to find my way through it slowly. Here's what
I've done:

  - Pick an itch (package) to scratch: lojban-common (bug #302297)
  - Read the Developer's Reference (still going)
  - Read the Debian Policy (slowly going)
  - Read the BTS and PTS documentation
  - Join debian-mentors

What else should I be doing before I embark on getting a package
ready? Does an overall checklist like the above already exist, that I
should be following?

--
 \       "What I resent is that the range of your vision should be the |
  `\                              limit of my action."  -- Henry James |