Re: New maintainer checklist

* Ben Finney [Mon, 09 May 2005 14:33:27 +1000]:

> What else should I be doing before I embark on getting a package
> ready? Does an overall checklist like the above already exist, that I
> should be following?

  IME, reading bits from d-devel-changes [1] will teach you things you
  won't learn elsewhere. It's a bit difficult to explain, but I know
  that reading those changelogs and some of the referenced bugs (those
  that drew my attention) has provided me valuable knowledge of how
  other maintainers work, which has then helped to improve myself as a
  maintainer. I can imagine it's not an activity that will be
  interesting for everybody, but should help if you're really interested
  in becoming a proficient maintainer. (And note how I used the word
  maintainer thrice, and packager none.)

    [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-changes

  As the traffic is obviously too high, I've always had a procmail rule
  in place that discards uploads of non-installed packages (unless
  explicitly monitored), so it's basically the same than having
  apt-listchanges installed.

  HTH, never mind if it doesn't. ;-)

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

The Wright Brothers weren't the first to fly. They were just the first
not to crash