Re: cannot make (my first) debian package

Mauro Darida wrote:
> Currently there is no top level Makefile. This may require additional tuning.
> Done. Please edit the files in the debian/ subdirectory now. You should also
> check that the debianadv Makefiles install into $DESTDIR and not in / .
This is an important warning.  If you understand it, you probably
understand the problem.

> /usr/bin/make clean
Without a Makefile, this will of course fail.  Make sure this line does
not appear in debian/rules.  In your case, you don't need to do anything
for "clean", so you can just remove it.

It didn't get to the "make install" phase, but that would also be a
problem.  You'll have to change that to something which puts the pdf
file in the correct tree.  cp would not be a bad choice, I think.  Of
course you can also create a Makefile in your sources which has a
"clean" and "install" target which do nothing and the copy.

> I cannot proceed form here. I think that probably the problem is that I do not
> have a source code but just a pdf document.

It is quite possible to build packages which don't need compiling, but
in case of pdf, there probably really is some "source" (for example, a
LaTeX file).  It might be useful to really compile that instead of using
the "binary" as if it was source (as you do now).  However, there is no
reason that this approach should not work, AFAICS.

> Or maybe I am just too bold and
> ignorant and have to give up?

Never give up, unless you understand what's happening and know it can't
be done (or isn't worth the trouble).

I only just built my own first package, so my comments may not be the
most valuable, but I hope they help you anyway.

> GnuPG key ID: 28A61681

Then why don't you sign your message?

Thanks,
Bas