Re: Source package and kernel dependency

Am 2005-04-15 14:26:06, schrieb Lars Roland:
> Hi all
>
> I am creating a package of some software that doing compilation needs
> to have access to the kernel source (any 2.6 kernel should do). The
> problem lies in the fact that the Debian kernel source package only
> dumps tar file in /usr/src/, so setting
>
> Build-Depends: kernel-source-2.6.8
>
> Is not enough given that I need to unpack the kernel, copy the config

It is not enough, if you use the "kernel-headers-2.6.8" ?
These are installed directly, without a tar.gz

> 1) Make a external script needed to compile the package (thereby
> removing the possibility off making a source package that will work,
> without a properly configured kernel).

I have such package too, but I need only the kernel-headers.

> 2) Using some sort of precompile scripts (does the deb system even
> have precompile scripts (in the style of preinst and prerm)) - to
> ensure that the system system is installed correctly. This will ensure
> that the source package will compile on any system.
>
> 3) Ship the configured kernel source along with the package (crappy
> solution - but it will of cause work).

This is a realy bad idea, because most people
like to have a newer kernel as 2.6.8.

> Any feedback (or even solutions) will be appreciated.
>

> Regards.
>
> Lars Roland

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi