help with package restricted to specific arches

I maintan a source package, u++, which builds two packages:  u++, which
is arch-specific, and u++-doc, which is arch-indep.  The u++ binary
package can only be built on certain Debian architectures.

The problem is that now I have a bug based on the fact that building
the arch-specific package fails on the other, unsupported,
architectures.  I've tried three or four different solutions, and
nothing helps.  Currently, I've conditionalized my binary-arch target
so that it does nothing on an unsupported arch, but then genchanges
dies when it finds that nothing was built.

Any and all help is appreciated,
Richard
--
Richard C. Bilson, Research Assistant   | School of Computer Science
rcbilson@plg.uwaterloo.ca               | University of Waterloo