Best way to package skippy [was: Re: [RFS][ITP] Skippy, gcursor, glurp. ]

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 00:00 +0000, Steve Kemp wrote:
> > [1]Skippy  is a full-screen task/window switcher a la Apple Expos??, this
> >            package closes bug #259096 [2].
> >            I didn't fill an ITP on skippy as the upstream author does
> >            not respond to my mails, so i don't judge this package as
> >            any complete as i can't even have his real name.
>
>   It's unfortunate that the upstream author isn't responsive, as this
>  can be very useful when making packages, and handling bug reports
>  especially.
>
>   I'm a bit disappointed that the package is split into two version,
>  it would be nice if there could be a way of only having one which
>  would detect which kind of X11 windowing system you were running
>  and load the correct code.
>
>   Still it's a pretty application, pretty unique as far as I can
>  see and very cute.
>
>   I will sponsor it, give me a few days to look over it properly
>  and if there are problems I'll mail you privately.

Skippy is a nice piece of software.

Gustavo Noronha and I were talking (in CONSOL[1]) about how would be the
best way to package skippy. Honestly, I haven't had the chance to check
any ITP/related-work on this, so I think this is the right to start.

Also, I just saw[2] this package was uploaded with Niv Altivanik as a
maintainer.

How are you handling running the software? Are you expecting the user to
run it manually? That was one of the concerns kov and I found when
discussing the package. Are you using something related? Probably
running an .xsession file? Obviously you couldn't do it from a .gnome
file, since one of the dependencies of the upstream software is X11R6.
What about KDE, XFce? We just tested it on GNOME and XFce running the
skippy command manually.

Besides, how are you handling the .skippyrc file?

Cheers,

--
David Moreno Garza <damog@damog.net> | http://www.damog.net/
 Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.