Re: helping script

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 10:52:48PM +0000, Helder Correia wrote:
> Hello!

Hello.

> I have used many GNU/Linux systems for 8 years, but only very recently I
> "found" Debian, or at least the real wonder it is :)
> I would like to start the process of becoming a DD as soon as possible, so I
> want to learn how to package.
> So, I wrote the following script in order to help me finding the dependencies
> of an application/library. It (hopefully) outputs all needed libraries
> package names sorted and with no duplicates.
> I'd like to ask the experienced developers if it outputs the correct
> information and if it can be improved (example of usage: deps /usr/bin/kcalc)

Well experienced developers wrote similar scripts long time ago. Some
examples are in Developers' Reference.

And there is dh_shlibdeps part of debhelper which is aimed at the same
problem and in addition it will fill your control file with correct names
and versions of needed packages.

So although your script makes thing quite good, I still recommend you to
use existing tools, and if you don't like them, fix them ;)

[...]

> I'll try to find a sponsor as soon as I have my first package ready.

Are you working on some program already? I hope you filled ITP bugreport
about that.

regards
fEnIo

--
  ,''`.  Bartosz Fenski | mailto:fenio@debian.org | pgp:0x13fefc40 | irc:fEnIo
 : :' :       32-050 Skawina - Glowackiego 3/15 - w. malopolskie - Polska