Re: maserver: Dynamic libraries inside a program package

Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 01:09:26PM +0100, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
>
>> If I can not put that .so inside the package, the other solution
>> might be getting 3 packages from maserver: libmaserver,
>> libmaserver-dev and maserver itself. libmaserver would have the
>> shared library and libmaserver-dev the header files to make new
>> plugins.  Would that be better?

We just had the same discussion on #debian-devel yesterday about
cinepaint (libcinepaint0, libcinepaint-dev).

At the end we came up with the following questions that you have to
ask yourself:

Will there be software that needs libmaserver but not maserver? If so
then you need to keep the lib in a seperate deb. (assuming no for
plugins)

Will there be software outside maserver that needs the header files?
If so then you need to have the header files. (assuming yes)

Will there be users that use maserver without (lib)maserver-dev? If so
then keep that seperate. This also makes lintian happy about shlibs
info being in a -dev package. (assuming yes)

Going by my assumptions you should have two packages only: maserver
and maserver-dev.

Whether you then put libmaserver into /usr/lib/maserver/ or link it
static is another question but doesn't realy matter. If the upstream
source builds a lib I would keep it a lib. Converting it is probably
not so trivial.

Just my 2c.
        Goswin