Re: maserver: Dynamic libraries inside a program package

> Try lintian -i: you'll see this type of thing:
>
>   A shared object was identified in a library
> directory
>   (i.e. a directory in the standard linker path)
> which
>   doesn't have a SONAME.  This is usually an error.

Thanks, yes it seems that the lintian error means what
you're saying.

http://lintian.debian.org/reports/Tsharedobject-in-library-directory-not-actually-a-shlib.html)

> So, you need to edit the build system (or ask
> upstream) to
> make gcc have an option like
> "-Wl,-soname,libmaserver.so.1".

aha I see. Thanks!! :)

> You should also edit the line with "dh_shlibdeps".
> You'll
> notice that if you unintall the package and then
> build it,
> this line will generate a warning.  That's debhelper
> trying
> to figure out "what package provides this shared
> library".
> Oftentimes, its a different package.  The -l option
> dh_shlibdeps tells it where to look for the
> libraries when a
> given package includes shared libraries as well as
> libraries
> that depend on them.

It does not give any warning in that sense, but thanks
for the info, I'll try to find out about that.

> Also, do you actually need that link?  Hmm.  Its not
> a bad
> idea, I guess, but will any other packages
> Build-Depend on
> maserver?  More typically, binaries are in one
> package, and
> libraries in another package (on which the binary
> package
> depends), and then a development package
> (libfoo-dev)
> includes shared libraries (sometimes) as well as the
> libfoo.so => libfoo.so.0 symlink (which is only
> needed such
> that the linker can go from -lfoo to libfoo.so).

I don't think it really needs that link, but the make
install process does it that way, and probably it
makes sense. I could make the library name has just
.so ending, but I just didn't see the need for
changing that.

If I can not put that .so inside the package, the
other solution might be getting 3 packages from
maserver: libmaserver, libmaserver-dev and maserver
itself. libmaserver would have the shared library and
libmaserver-dev the header files to make new plugins.
Would that be better?

> Cheers,
> Justin

Thanks :)