Re: Packaging of mailinglist archives

Hi Justin and others!

> server, and asks "Do you want to run the sshd server".  It is
> probably, at best, borderline acceptable to ask "In what formats do
> you want to make the mailinglists available".

I agree in that.

> This is the right idea.  Provide a package which includes the "source"
> format (mbox, say).  Other packages can do maildir or html conversion
> (if not, then you can make them:).  Just provide
> /usr/share/doc/mailinglists/examples/ scripts or whatever which
> implement those other packages in the context of mailinglists.  Maybe
> one program edits the apache configuration to make /mailinglists a web
> alias for /u/s/mailinglists/, and another finds the start of a given
> thread.

This will be the way I choose, provide archives as mbox sources (by now
I got it managed to create non-native versions for smaller uploads,
thanks Goswin!) and then create some piece of sotware and a package to
manage conversion into different formats.

> Right again.  No reason for mailinglists to depend on a relational SQL
> DB.  (Since I can do perfectly good search with zgrep).  If you want
> to allow users to import them into SQL, I recommend providing a
> utility in /u/s/d/mailinglists/examples/.

I need to read zgrep then :-) But these problems are seperate from
packaging the archives themselves, so this is a task to do later :-)

But another question: I moved the archives fom /u/s/d/mailingslists to
/u/s/mailingslists, but now dh_compress doesn't compress them by
default, and I tried to pass the name of the mbox file to it but it
didn't work - so what have I to put there or what about compressing
using bzip2? Any what to get this automatically done? I don't like to
have all compressed by myself, I think I can use a script while package
building for that?

Apart from that it works quite fine now :-)

Cheers,
Jan