Re: Packaging of mailinglist archives

Hi again,

> Why under doc? Compare with
>
> /usr/share/keyrings/
> /usr/share/images/
> /usr/share/sounds/
>
> Not all mailinglists would be documentary in nature.

Right, then something like /usr/share/mailinglists or like that would be
more appropriate indeed.

> Do you have a reader interface for the mbox files? Maybe the scripts
> from lists.debian.org so one can browse the MLs via a webbrowser and
> apache. A search function and maybe search-in-thread would be nice.
>
> No everyone might want to import the mbox files into their mail
> client.

Indeed - it's some of future project for me ;-) I have some rendering
done locally, but handling threads isn't quite simple (guess you have a
monthly mbox including a thread that started before this month).

Browsing the archive through a webinterface will be nice and thats what
comes in near future, but I don't know right now who I will implement this

a) use a seperate package for each format (mbox, maildir, html) - to be
created out of one source package (didn't do this before, but, I can
learn :-) Side effect is that there will be muliple data in different
packages

b) use a singe package per archive that does conversation at install
time (debconf?)

c) create a single packge that does conversation into the desired format
on user request (mbox->maildir, mbox->html) over all installed archive
packages.

d) ?

A searchable version is what came in my mind while building up my
archive, locally for me works a postgresql database with a full text
index and some data structure for finding threads. But as a package?
Hmm.. would be interesting and quite useful, but depends on the fact
that a user needs a postgresql (or a differnet) database.

I have worked on something smaller using a python script to search
throuh the masses of mails - when this hopefully works stable in the
future this will become released. I think this would be 'nicer' than to
require storing all mails in a real database and as long the archives
are not too huge speed should not be a problem.

So many things to do..

Cheers,
Jan