Re: Packaging of mailinglist archives

Jan Kesten <debian-lists@the-hidden-realm.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> at first thanks Magnus and Frank for the hint to find a documentaion
> only package to look at. Finally I managed to get working packages, that
> install mbox-archives of mailinglists under /usr/share/doc/mailinglists
>
> (by the way: is this the right list for questions like this? If not just
> tell me which one is better :-)
>
> But some questions still remain (indeed I haven't read all new
> maintainer and policy doc yet, but quite a bit already):
>
> By now each package installs his files in
>
> /usr/share/doc/mailinglists/<listname>/<yyyymm>.mbox

Why under doc? Compare with

/usr/share/keyrings/
/usr/share/images/
/usr/share/sounds/

Not all mailinglists would be documentary in nature.

> using a 'install' statement in debian/rules.
>
> I've done this because this builds some archive like structure beneath
> /usr/share/doc/mailinglists to work with instead of having one directory
> per month and list :-)
>
> Apart form this file, it installs some copyright notice as the package
> did where I looked at and like it is described in the policy manual that
> every package needs to have one and it's changelog.
>
> So, what copyright to use for a mailinglist archive? And is there any
> other comment about the way I'm doing these package(s)?
>
> Any comment is greatly welcome :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Jan
>
> PS: I could put my test project on some webserver if someone would like
> to look at it..

Do you have a reader interface for the mbox files? Maybe the scripts
from lists.debian.org so one can browse the MLs via a webbrowser and
apache. A search function and maybe search-in-thread would be nice.

No everyone might want to import the mbox files into their mail
client.

MfG
        Goswin