Re: reporting lintian and linda overrides

Jereme Corrado wrote:

> I was thinking about an override, (linda complains) and my sponsor
> pointed out that he thought he recalled that overrides should be
> reported.  I wasn't able to find any mention of this so I was hoping
> for some insight from the list.

The lintian documentation in section 2.4 covers this, although I don't
think it is mentioned in any linda docs.  The docs give three cases:
lintian (or linda) has a bug; lintian isn't smart enough to figure out
that the reported error/warning is a special case allowed by policy; or
policy in general allows exceptions to a rule checked by lintian.  It
looks like you probably fall under case 2.

In the first case, file a bug against lintian/linda; in the second/third
cases, one "should contact the Lintian maintainers too, including the
Lintian error message and a short note, stating why you think this is an
exception."

For what it's worth, I am a horrible person and haven't reported any of
the overrides I've put in my packages to stop lintian from giving
spurious warnings. :-)  My overrides are trivial enough that I don't
think they are worth wasting the lintian maintainers' time.  Hmm, on a
second look maybe I will report the one for viewglob.

regards,

GPG public key ID: 4F83C751                 Princeton, NJ 08544