Re: reporting lintian and linda overrides

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 03:58:00PM +0100, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 09:45:10AM -0500, Jereme Corrado wrote:
> > One of my packages, (faqomatic) has a two non-standard directory
> > permissions, (0755:www-data/www-data on /var/lib/fom and
> > /var/lib/fom/meta) as they must be writable by the websever process.
> >
> > I was thinking about an override, (linda complains) and my sponsor
> > pointed out that he thought he recalled that overrides should be
> > reported.  I wasn't able to find any mention of this so I was hoping
> > for some insight from the list.
>
> You don't need to report them anywhere, you can do the overriding
> yourself. For lintian, see [1] on how to do that.
>
> Hm, I notice the docs tell you to actually contact lintian authors,
> well, I think it's overkill almost all the time, only if you're in doubt
> whether it's a bug in lintian or whether you should override (or maybe
> your package _is_ doing something wrong), it makes sense to send a mail.
> I'll adjust the documentation for the next lintian version.
>
> --Jeroen
>
> [1] http://lintian.debian.org/manual/ch2.html#s2.4
>     or file:///usr/share/doc/lintian/lintian.html/ch2.html#s2.4

I (the sponsor) think it was reported as such in documentation in
order to collect exceptions and understand if lintian would require
a better management of a specific rule. An exception could make
evidence of an incomplete/bad specified rule (so a lintian bug),
but that's not necessarily so. Do not reporting at all and just adding
the override is probably not the best thing to do (it hides the thing).
Using the BTS could be appropriate or not. It's a choice of lintian-maints.
In the past I found reporting to them is probably more appropriate.
Of course IMHO.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine