Re: How to deal with CVS directories in upstream tarballs?

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 01:37:07PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 07:12:54PM +0100, Alexis Sukrieh wrote:
> >     - Should I make my own .orig.tar.gz tarball whenever a new upstream
> >       release is packaged? I'm planning to do that for 2.18.
> This sounds like a good idea.  Use a makefile rule "cleancvs" (nothing
> has to depend on it, you'll just run it manually, I guess).
>
>   find ./ -name CVS -type d -exec rm -fr {} \;
>   find ./ -name .cvsignore -exec rm -f {} \;

Having a pristine tarball if possible is IMHO preferred above saving it
from a bit of space in your tarball. Having CVS files in it isn't the
end of the world, and lintian errors/warnings are _automatic_ checks to
warn you of possible mistakes, but you must think for yourself whether
the things you're about to do to make the lintian errors/warnings go
away isn't worse than those warnings. In this case, needlessly (IMHO)
uploading a non-pristine source package makes it much easier to
introduce mistakes, and makes it harder to check whether the debian
.orig.tar.gz is indeed the same as upstream's.

> >     - Should I remove the CVS entries in the "configure" phase of the
> >       package, I mean, before I install files in debian/bugzilla/?
> They should definitely not get installed when I type 'aptitude install
> bugzilla'.  If you need a source tarball equivalent to upstreams, then
> you could run the above find commands from within ./debian/, if
> necessary.

Of course not, but we're talking source package here. You should
definitely make sure that the CVS directories don't get installed in the
.deb, but that's solveable from within debian/rules.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl