Re: How to deal with CVS directories in upstream tarballs?

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 07:12:54PM +0100, Alexis Sukrieh wrote:
> Hello mentors.

> There is an issue with the upstream tarball, it includes CVS direcories
> and .cvsignore files. That's not welcome in source packages, as lintian
> says and I'd like to avoid providing all that CVS stuff.

>     - Should I simply ignore lintian, and keep the CVS entries in the
>       source tree? That would let the #291206 bug opened...
Lintian has a warning for a reason; apparently you can "export" from
cvs, rather than "checkout", but that's hearsay.  If you can access
the mozilla CVS, for that version, that's an option.

>     - Should I make my own .orig.tar.gz tarball whenever a new upstream
>       release is packaged? I'm planning to do that for 2.18.
This sounds like a good idea.  Use a makefile rule "cleancvs" (nothing
has to depend on it, you'll just run it manually, I guess).

  find ./ -name CVS -type d -exec rm -fr {} \;
  find ./ -name .cvsignore -exec rm -f {} \;

>     - Should I remove the CVS entries in the "configure" phase of the
>       package, I mean, before I install files in debian/bugzilla/?
They should definitely not get installed when I type 'aptitude install
bugzilla'.  If you need a source tarball equivalent to upstreams, then
you could run the above find commands from within ./debian/, if
necessary.

Justin