Re: Advice in 3 packages

Antonio Ognio wrote on 04/01/2005 08:24:

log4sh ------
The name I choosed for the packages is: liblog4sh-shell. I guess it correctly
reflects it's a library for the shell and it's name is "log4sh". Is this right?

Looks fine to me.

I haven't yet written a manpage for this package, plan to do so. The
upstream tarball includes some HTML docs (one big HTML page and a CSS
> style file) and I've just installed it to /usr/share/doc/liblog4sh-shell
> by adding them to the debian/docs file. Should this be placed in
> /usr/shar/doc/<package>/html being the index file named 'index.html'
> (it's called log4sh.html now) ????

I would say that it should be in /usr/share/doc/<package>/html. From a user/admin standpoint, I like it a lot if packages provide plain text documentation. Even on my Debian boxes, I don't always have a html browser (be it text mode or GUI) installed, but less (or more) is always available. So if this does work out cleanly, it would be cool if you could make sure that all the documentation available in <package>/html is also available either as plaintext file(s) or as manpage(s).

I tried to do the this by messing a bit with debian/<package.doc-base
but didn't got it to work. Need some help on how to do this.

Just copy it to DESTDIR/usr/share/doc/<package>/html in the Makefile's install target or (IMHO preferably) in debian/rules at about the time the Makefile is called for the install target.

I've been modifying a bit te upstream Makefile (is this the
recommended way to go?)

Depends on what you want to achieve by the modifications.

> and it works for me, only it issues some errors in the 'make build'
(nothing gets built everything gets just copied) I'm for now ignoring
> since the debian package build doesn't break.

Well, neither debian/rules nor the original Makefile should issue errors during the build. If there is no "build" target in the Makefile, either add it (empty) or remove the call to it in the build(-stamp) target of debian/rules.

cu,
sven

gruler
------
Wrote a nice (I guess) manpage for it since the upstream package
had none.

Hope you provided your manpage to upstream? The manpage surely isn't a Debian specific feature, so if possible, convince upstream to include it on future releases.

The source is called 'gruler', the upstream author refers to the
package a couple of times
as "gRuler" but in other parts he calls it "Gnome Screen Ruler". Since
there is a kruler
in Debian I guess gruler makes sense. Shoud i rename the package to
'gnome-screen-ruler'??

I personally wouldn't do that. Just keep the package name to gruler and use Gnome Screen Ruler only where a longer project name or description is sensible.

httplog
-------

Apart from the license issue (you should really ask debian-legal about that), I wonder what sets it apart from logrotate?

cu,
sven