Re: Advice in 3 packages

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 03:13:36AM -0500, Hubert Chan wrote:
> Antonio> httplog
> Antonio> -------
>
> Antonio> Main problem I have with this package is it's license: Free
> Antonio> Software License. Haven't yet realized if this is a custom
> Antonio> license from the upstream author or something else but quite
> Antonio> little known. The relevant parts are here:
>
> If you want a real opinion, you should ask on debian-legal, but here are
> my non-professional (unprofessional? ;-) ) opinions.

I'll add my d-legal-lurker opinions.

> Antonio>                              TERMS AND CONDITIONS
>
> Antonio>    1. You may make copies of the Software.
>
> No problems here. ;-)

Although it's good to be careful of a clause such as this -- "copies" should
be interpreted as "verbatim copies", which means that unless the licence
allows you to prepare and distribute derived works, there is no licence to
modify, which is very non-free.

> Antonio> 2. You may prepare derivative works based on the Software,
> Antonio> provided the following conditions are met: i) All modifications
> Antonio> to the Software must be prominently declared in the same file
> Antonio> as the modification, and must include the date of the
> Antonio> modification and the person who made the modification.
>
> A bit of a strange condition (requiring changes to be documented), IMHO,
> but I don't think that makes it non-free.

Requiring changes to be documented isn't a problem (the GPL requires that),
but requiring the identity of the person who made the modification isn't
widely regarded as being free.

> Antonio> 3. You have the right to make available to the public copies of
> Antonio> the Software or derivative works of the Software, provided the
> Antonio> following conditions are met: i) Copies in any form must retain
> Antonio> all copyright notices, all notices that refer to this License,
> Antonio> and must include this License, without modification.
>
> Pretty standard condition, I think.

Indeed.

> Antonio> ii) The name of any Copyright Owner may not be used to endorse
> Antonio> or promote products either containing, or derived from the
> Antonio> Software.
>
> Again, I think this is fairly standard.  A similar clause is in the BSD
> license.

It's also a no-op, and I cannot work out why people still insist on putting
it into licences.  You're not allowed to pretend I endorse something without
my consent, because it's misrepresentation -- it's criminal fraud, and civil
libel.

> Antonio> This means the package would go in 'contrib' or 'non-free'??
>
> It looks free to me.  My only possible concern would be clause 2i.  But,
> again, you should probably ask debian-legal before you try to get this
> into Debian.

Definitely get the opinion of the mavens.  I think that there'll be big
concerns with 2i.

- Matt