Re: Pointers for packaging appreciated (icecream)

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 06:34:12PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
[..]
>Apparently you don't; quoting from dh_undocumented(1):
>
>	SYNOPSIS
>		Do not run!
>
>	DESCRIPTION
>		This program used to make symlinks to the
>		undocumented.7 man page for man pages not present in a
>		package. Debian policy now frowns on use of the
>		undocumented.7 man page, and so this program does
>		nothing, and should not be used.
>
>If you *really* want to you could make a symlink from man/man1/icecc.1
>to dh_undocumented.1.gz.  Instead, I would encourage you to add it to
>./debian/TODO and let lintian continue to warn you.  And nag upstream.

Ah, this is good to know. I opted to simply leave out the man-pages for
now. I'll try to convince upstream.

>>  2. How do I handle the cache directory it uses? Currently I only
>>     create it at install, but don't remove it afterwards. I don't want
>>     to remove it in case of an upgrade, only with an actual remove.
>I'm not sure I understand entirely; but if you just include the
>directory (/var/cache/icecc/?) in the package as a normal directory
>(possibly via ./debian/dirs), then it will do what you want.  If its
>name is determined at install-time by the admin, then you can just use
>the postrm script to query debconf and rmdir it.

The cache directory should be owned by icecreamccd:adm (icecreamccd is
the user it runs as). The directory should be created at first install,
and removed only at removal (not at upgrade).

How do other packages handle this?

I am also wondering about the log file, should it be removed when the
package is purged?

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

Perpetual growth is the creed of the cancer cell.
     -- Edward Abbey