Re: Pointers for packaging appreciated (icecream)

On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 10:20:42PM +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 06:34:12PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> [..]

> >>  2. How do I handle the cache directory it uses? Currently I only
> >>     create it at install, but don't remove it afterwards. I don't want
> >>     to remove it in case of an upgrade, only with an actual remove.
> >I'm not sure I understand entirely; but if you just include the
> >directory (/var/cache/icecc/?) in the package as a normal directory
> >(possibly via ./debian/dirs), then it will do what you want.  If its
> >name is determined at install-time by the admin, then you can just use
> >the postrm script to query debconf and rmdir it.
>
> The cache directory should be owned by icecreamccd:adm (icecreamccd is
> the user it runs as).
Okay, so add the user in postinst, then run chmod.

> The directory should be created at first install,
> and removed only at removal (not at upgrade).
Just like every normal file and directory (like /bin/ls).  Unless the
name of the cache directory is specified by the admin while the pkg is
being installed.

> I am also wondering about the log file, should it be removed when the
> package is purged?
What is in the log file?  A log of compilations?  There was a
discussion a couple months ago on -devel, I think.  I think the
"consensus" was "Don't remove logfiles, except on a purge".  (There
was disagreement because somebody stored their thesis in
/var/log/apache/ before the purge).

Cheers,
Justin