Re: RFS: When, Ben Crowell

On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 01:52:00PM +0000, Ben Crowell wrote:
> Matthew Palmer wrote:
> >[...] Specifically, you'll need to
> >provide your sponsor with a standard Debian source package (containing
> >orig.tar.gz, diff.gz, and dsc files).
>
>   when_1.0.15-1_all.deb:      Debian binary package (format 2.0), uses gzip compression
Yes, that's the binary package.  Its an /usr/bin/ar archive,
containing 3 files.

>   when_1.0.15-1.diff.gz:      gzip compressed data, from Unix, max compression

>   when_1.0.15-1.dsc:          PGP armored data signed message
.dsc = Debian source control

>   when_1.0.15-1_i386.changes: PGP armored data signed message

>   when_1.0.15.orig.tar.gz:    gzip compressed data, from Unix
>   when-1.0.15.tar.gz:         gzip compressed data, from Unix
Ideally, these two should be identical.  They should only be different
if you made (and documented) very very big changes to the upstream
source.  The .diff file will be a diff between the .orig and
whatever is in the directory.

> If the .deb is a binary package, do I need to do something else to create
> a source package?
Nope.  I guess the source packages are the .dsc and the .orig.tar.gz
and the .diff (going by what Stephen said).

> Of course
> the distinction between source and binary is kind of moot here, since my
> program is in pure perl, but I assume they're two different formats?)
You have the idea.  Your package contains a ./debian/control file
which should say "Architecture: all" which means "the result of
'compilation' works on all archs".  (Compare with "Architecture: any",
which means "this package may be compiled on any arch, and will be
arch specific).

> It seems like I'd need to do a dpkg-source, but from the man page, I'm
> not clear exactly what to do. The guide says in section 6.1 that the
> command `dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot' should make both a source and
> a binary package, but it doesn't seem to have done so...?
It may be different for an Arch: all package.  I wouldn't worry, as
long as your .orig matches the upstream one, and your diff contains
precisely the changes you have made (which in many cases is just the
addition of ./debian/).

Cheers,
Justin