Re: RFS: When, Ben Crowell

Matthew Palmer wrote:
>[...] Specifically, you'll need to
>provide your sponsor with a standard Debian source package (containing
>orig.tar.gz, diff.gz, and dsc files).

Ah, thanks for the info, I'm a newbie at this! After going through
the steps given in the Debian New Maintainers' Guide,
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-build.en.html,
the debianish files I end up with in my directory are these:

  when_1.0.15-1_all.deb:      Debian binary package (format 2.0), uses gzip compression
  when_1.0.15-1.diff.gz:      gzip compressed data, from Unix, max compression
  when_1.0.15-1.dsc:          PGP armored data signed message
  when_1.0.15-1_i386.changes: PGP armored data signed message
  when_1.0.15.orig.tar.gz:    gzip compressed data, from Unix
  when-1.0.15.tar.gz:         gzip compressed data, from Unix

If the .deb is a binary package, do I need to do something else to create
a source package? Do source packages have a different extension? (Of course
the distinction between source and binary is kind of moot here, since my
program is in pure perl, but I assume they're two different formats?)
It seems like I'd need to do a dpkg-source, but from the man page, I'm
not clear exactly what to do. The guide says in section 6.1 that the
command `dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot' should make both a source and
a binary package, but it doesn't seem to have done so...?

Thanks in advance for any further help you can give!

	-Ben