Re: RFS: When, Ben Crowell

On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 11:18:19PM +0000, Ben Crowell wrote:
> The software is available here:
>   http://www.lightandmatter.com/when/when.html
> The tarball is capable of building the debian package if you
> do a 'make debian', but it requires my own GPG key's password.
> If the idea is to have the sponsor GPG-sign the package, then
> the sponsor should edit the lines in the Makefile that define
> the vaiables MAINTAINER_EMAIL and MAINTAINER_NAME.

You should change that to build using standard Debian procedures and tools
if you want to get the package into Debian.  Specifically, you'll need to
provide your sponsor with a standard Debian source package (containing
orig.tar.gz, diff.gz, and dsc files).  It looks like all you might have to
do is rename debian_stuff to debian and add things like a changelog to the
debian directory.

In general, it's best to produce your software independent of Debian, and
then add the Debian-specific parts to create a Debian package.  The benefit
of this is that if people want to make packages for another distribution,
they're not left with a Debian taste in their mouths.  <grin>  Remember,
some sick person may want to run your code on a Windows box one day...

- Matt