Re: (2nd try) RFS: Erudite Directory Service Admin

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 09:25:43PM -0500, Mark Roach wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 17:38 -0600, David Moreno Garza wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 17:28 -0500, Mark Roach wrote:
> > > I am the author of EDSAdmin (Erudite Directory Service Admin). It is a
> > > python+gtk application that aims for easy maintenance of LDAP
> > > directories. I have packaged it and would like to see it included in
> [..]
> > You should also provide .diff.gz and .orig.tar.gz files to extract
> > source packages.
>
> These are native packages i.e. The debian packaging info is part of the
> upstream tarball (I am the author). It is my understanding that since
> there is no difference between upstream and packaged versions no diff is
> necessary... isn't this right?

Maybe, maybe not.  If your only distribution you ever plan on supporting is
Debian, then maybe it is.  However, making upstream releases to fix
Debian-only issues (including, possibly, nothing more than a recompile for a
new ABI) is a serious pest.

You can do all of the Debian-specific maintenance in a separate "debian"
branch of your revision control system (you do *use* a good revision control
system, don't you?) and make regular orig+diff packages.

Trust me on this -- unless your package is *really* Debian-specific, you're
much better off with orig+diff packages.  Look at the history of
libapache-mod-auth-mysql for a case study.

- Matt