Re: creating relocatable packages with dpkg

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 05:10:25PM -0800, No Spam wrote:
> --- Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure that that's what's happening, but it makes sense.  You
> > can easily install a filesystem with "debootstrap - Bootstrap a basic
> > Debian system".
>
> That seems like such overkill.  For every installation of my software
Right.  I'm not sure what your end goal is, though, so I hesitate to
provide a less general solution.  Debian handles dependencies, and so
to do this thoroughly and correctly, for an arbitrary package, could
certainly require a completely different root filesystem.

The maint scripts are also an interesting dilemma.  Once again, it is
definitely possible (at least hypothetically) to do this correctly
without a complete "reinstall" under a new chroot.

Justin