Re: creating relocatable packages with dpkg

No Spam <nospam420@yahoo.com> - Fri, Dec 10, 2004:

> My understanding is that the problem is that it's trying to chroot to
> /opt/foo1, but there is no root filesystem there (for example, no
> /bin/sh at /opt/foo1/bin/sh), so there's no way for it to do anything
> other than simple copying of files.  Is this really what's going on?
> Is there no simple way to allow the user to relocate a small subset of
> packages without relocating the whole base / install?

 It's not an easy task you're into.  I see multiple problems with
 relocation of Debian packages:
 - packages have dependencies which ensure that a package in a
   particular version gets all the libs it needs installed at the proper
   place,
 - packages expect some standard utilities in certain places (in fact
   they can assume any part of the base system is available for example
   in maintainer scripts),
 - packages expect to be able to reach their own files with hard-coded
   pathnames, for example a gnome app might expect to reach its pixmaps
   in /usr/share/pixmaps.

 I'm not aware of packages which will work flawlessly outside of a base
 system and without the use of the chroot, nor of a way to distinguish
 them.

   HTH,

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>