Re: policy concerning files used by postinst but not to be installed

rixed <rixed@happyleptic.org> wrote:

> As you spoke about the
> debian directory I thought that it would be a mean to have the files
> with the deb without having them installed (like other files on the
> debian directory, none of them beeing copied definitively on the user
> file system).

If you happen to have a file called "postinst" or
"$packagename.postinst" in your debian directory, and you use
dh_installdeb, it will definitely be installed on the user's
system. Please find out where. The same holds for config, preinst
etc. If they weren't installed, they'd be pretty useless, except for
some special files in control.tar.gz[1] that dpkg uses directly.

Regards, Frank

[1] if you don't know what that is, try
mkdir testdir
cd testdir