policy concerning files used by postinst but not to be installed

Hello, list-men.

Im packaging a program that uses a series of sql patches to upgrade from any version to the latest. Those files are located in a 'patches' directory in the source tree, but are not installed anywhere by make install because they are just useful at install, not after.

I would like to use them in the postinst script to upgrade the database automatically. So, I have to carry those files in the .deb.

First idea was to move patches directory to the debian directory, but its not fair to people who will not use the debian package but the mere tarball.

Second Idea was to ln -s ../patches from ./debian, but symlinks must be avoided because of CVS.

Third idea was to ask here for a good solution :-/

Thank you for any advice.