Re: RFS: cc65 - Cross development suite for 65xxx processors

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 07:42:34PM -0600, Benjamin Cutler wrote:
>    Package name    : cc65
>    Version         : 2.10.1
>    Upstream Author : Ullrich von Bassewitz <uz@cc65.org>
>    URL             : http://www.cc65.org/
>    License         : zlib-alike
>    Description     : Cross development suite for 65xxx processors
>
>   cc65 in a suite of utilities designed to allow development of programs that
>   run on computers and consoles based off the 65xxx series of processors.
>   It includes a C compiler, an assembler, a linker, and several libraries to
>   better allow development for a specific platform. Supported platforms
>   include:
>
>    * Processors: 6502/65C02/65816
>    * Commodore
>     -C64
>     -GEOS C64
>     -C128
>     -C16
>     -C116
>     -Plus/4
>     -P500/600/700
>    * Apple ][
>    * Atari (8-bit)
>    * Oric Atmos
>    * Nintendo Entertainment System
>    * Supervision Game Console
>
>   See the homepage at http://www.cc65.org/ for more details!
> ----
>
> I was digging around trying to find a useful emulation-related utilities
> after my failed attempt at packaging Gens due to legal issues[0], and
> somebody pointed me to this little gem. At first it appeared that it was
> non-free[1], but after some digging around I discovered it's just fine[2].
> Now, the odd part is that the tarball came with some debian stuff already in
> it, so it looks like somebody tried to package this about two years ago. (I
> saw a thread on an l.d.o list about it because of the legal issues mentioned
> in [1], but I can't remember where and I can't find it again.) I can't find
> any reference to it in the archive, unless I'm missing something obvious, so
> I don't think it ever actually made it into Debian. It was pretty old
> (Standards 3.2.1), and it split a 3 meg package into about 7 or 8
> subpackages, which strikes me as a little silly, so I snagged the man pages
> and wrote the rest of the debian/ tree from scratch. ITP is at [3], and
> packages are available on m.d.n[4][5]. Copyright file is at [6] if you want
> to glance at what I wrote for it without downloading first. Comments are
> welcome, and thanks in advance. :)
>
> [0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/06/msg00136.html
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/06/msg00482.html
> [2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/06/msg00488.html
> [3] http://bugs.debian.org/255572
> [4] http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/c/cc65/
> [5] http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/c/cc65-common/
> [6] http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~cutler/debian/cc65.copyright

That is a solid RFS!

I still didn't made time to check it out
and will not able the next few days.

Try to find a sponsor at Debian mailinglist that have
interrest in other architectures and/or embedded application.

This posting is only to get attention for the package it's deserves.

Cheers
Geert Stappers