Re: removing MySQL data on purge

Hi.

Jeremy Lainé (jeremy.laine@polytechnique.org) wrote:
> > A better solution would be detecting whether a password is needed
> > (i.e. the debian-sys-maint or whatever the account is called is not
> > available) and if so, prompt the user via debconf at purge.

> Trying to be guess whether a password is needed seems rather risky as
> the database could very well be on a different server, don't you think?
> I also noticed that in horde2, the config script tries to retrieve the
> local admin password using mysql-localadmpass.get, but it does not check
> at all if we are indeed installing the database on the local server..
Well, first of all, data removal at purging is inherently a "best effort"
type enterprise because you aren't guaranteed to have your dependencies
installed.
You should of course not send local passwords to remote servers, but if the
database is on a local server and a password is readily available, one might
as well use that. Also, it might be questionable to remove data on a different
machine at all while purging, but that's another discussion.
Probably a proper solution will require some careful thought which is - in
combination with the perfect reusability - why I'd like to see this in a
common package.

> As for prompting at purge, isn't that a big no-no?
Last time we had this discussion (RFS phpgroupware in december, notably Jamin
Collins had a lot of helpful advice), the conclusion was that prompting (via
debconf) is OK and preferable to storing the password.

Kind regards

Thomas