Re: Development packages.

I demand that Stephen Frost may or may not have written...

> * Roger Leigh (roger@whinlatter.uklinux.net) wrote:
>> I used a statically-linked binary just a few days ago. I needed to resize
>> an NTFS partition on a newly-delivered system which came with Windows XP.
>> In the event, I was able to get a statically linked binary, copy it onto a
>> floppy and run this after booting from a rescue disk.

>> So, it's very useful for rescue situations, where you can't rely on a
>> whole suite of shared libs, or any installation at all.

> Boot Knoppix or similar from a CD.

Knoppix or similar may not have the required binary. ;-)

> PCs today are more often installed with CDs than floppies anyway.  That's
> really a pretty poor reason.

It's possible that you may not have a CD-ROM drive for, or in, a particular
machine: I don't for my laptop, and if I did, I may not always carry it or,
for that matter, the floppy drive (which is removable) with the computer.

[snip]
--
| Darren Salt   | nr. Ashington, | linux (or ds) at
| woody, sarge, | Northumberland | youmustbejoking
| RISC OS       | Toon Army      | demon co uk
|   Oh, sarge too...

You are standing on my toes.