Re: Development packages.

* Roger Leigh (roger@whinlatter.uklinux.net) wrote:
> I used a statically-linked binary just a few days ago.  I needed to
> resize an NTFS partition on a newly-delivered system which came with
> Windows XP.  In the event, I was able to get a statically linked
> binary, copy it onto a floppy and run this after booting from a rescue
> disk.
>
> So, it's very useful for rescue situations, where you can't rely on a
> whole suite of shared libs, or any installation at all.

Boot Knoppix or similar from a CD.  PCs today are more often installed
with CDs than floppies anyway.  That's really a pretty poor reason.

> It's also useful when you want to provide something that "just work"
> with no extra dependencies.  While proprietary/commercial software was
> the biggest user of this, it's also useful for free software.  What if
> Joe Average would like to run my program which makes use of libstdc++,
> GTK+ 2.2 and GNOME 2.4?  It's the least hassle way to achieve this.

Joe Average installs Debian which *handles* all of the dependencies.
Come on, this isn't even a reason to keep them.

> > Regardless, we shouldn't be using them and the end
> > users and local admins who actually need to link against things
> > statically can figure out the dependencies.
>
> Since nearly all -dev packages come with static libs and this is not
> forbidded (it's mentioned in Policy) I won't stop using them.  I'll by
> happy to stop as soon as Policy forbids/discourages it.

Policy follows current action more than it forces changes.  Regardless,
it doesn't actually hurt anything to include static libs except disk
space on the mirrors (something I don't tend to worry myself over too
much) so while we *shouldn't*, as long as it doesn't *hurt* things, I
don't care.  Using them as an excuse to include .la files isn't valid
because .la files break other things.

> On a related note, I'd also be very happy if it was a requirement to
> build libraries with a miniumum of "-g -ggdb -gdwarf-2", and not strip
> them.  We could provide some mechanism to automatically strip
> binaries, surely?

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  I certainly hope you're not
trying to say we should ship not-stripped *anything* by default.
Libraries make up a large part of the archive and having them not be
stripped would cause users to have to download *alot* of crap they're
very likely to not be interested in.  A much better solution, which is
already being worked on and I think may be working in part at least, is
-dbg packages.  These increase the size the mirror uses, which I realize
some people are concerned about, but doesn't increase the amount of crap
a user has to download unless they ask for it specifically.

	Stpehen