Re: Should I always clean in debian/rules before making binary?

Frank Küster wrote:
> Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> schrieb:
> > It's easier to use DESTDIR=$(CURDIR)/debian/tmp if DESTDIR support is
> > available; that way you get less confused by /etc.
> [..]
> Hm, how do I know (other by trial and error) whether a package supports
> this? autoconf'iscated ones do not use it generally, do they?

Older automake generated Makefiles do not support DESTDIR.  But newer
automake generated Makefiles do support it.  I don't know at what
version that support was enabled.  But if the tool uses a new automake
to generate the files or if you happen to regenerate them then you
should have DESTDIR support.

There appear to be three cases.

1. The developer wrote the Makefiles by hand and did not supply any
   support for DESTDIR natively.

2. The developer used automake and therefore supports DESTDIR by
   default.

3. The developer used automake but also supplied additional Makefile
   sections by hand and those additional sections do not support
   DESTDIR.  So it is partially there but not fully functional now.

That last one happens every so often.  I found and reported one in
gettext just recently (which was promptly fixed by upstream).  But
those are the hardest to detect without actually trying.

Trial and error is probably the easiest method.

Bob