Should I always clean in debian/rules before making binary?

I have an automake project that I've also run dh_make on.

If I just run: ./configure, the default {prefix} is "/usr/local",
which is the way I want it.

If I then run "fakeroot debian/rules binary", the binary debian package
will install itself to /usr/local.

If I "make clean; fakeroot debian/rules binary", the package will
install itself to /usr, which is right for debian.

Should I do something in debian/rules to make sure the binary always
goes to /usr, or this flexiblity desirable?  It sure seems like
"unexpected behavior" to me.