description of orig.tar.gz in Policy: Where is it?

Hi,

it seems I'm kind of blind, but I cannot find the section in Policy that
describes the requirements for orig.tar.gz. There must be some, right?

In particular, I'm looking for something like

"The contents of the orig.tar.gz should match contents of the downloaded
archive, as specified in copyright, as closely as possible. If there are
changes, they have to be documented in ... Changes regarding Debian
customization must be made during the build process and not be included
in orig.tar.gz"

Isn't this true? The only place I found is appendix C.3, but the
appendices aren't part of policy proper.

TIA, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie