Re: description of orig.tar.gz in Policy: Where is it?

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 17:08, Frank Küster wrote:
> In particular, I'm looking for something like
>
> "The contents of the orig.tar.gz should match contents of the
> downloaded archive, as specified in copyright, as closely as
> possible. If there are changes, they have to be documented in ...
> Changes regarding Debian customization must be made during the build
> process and not be included in orig.tar.gz"

As it is sometimes impractible (as eg. in really silly ;) to impose the
desired originality of orig.tar.gz by force, you as a developer should
really make up your mind and then decide for the best of your users.

General rules are: Keep unchanged as possible, not only, but importantly
timestamps. No one should be angry on you, if you make it clear with a
changelog entry or naming of the orig.tar.gz why and what you've done.

Have a nice day, martin