Re: Maintainer: field in .changes

Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> schrieb:

> * Frank Küster <frank@kuesterei.ch> [2004-01-20 10:10]:
>> What are the problems with UTF-8 in control? I am using UTF-8 in
>> debian/changelog and debian/control. I've done that because I read
>> that changelog has to be in utf-8 before I heard of any problems
>> with utf-8 in control.
>
> Well, there are just some problems in the archive scripts.  You have
> to use the same encoding in changelog and control, otherwise katie
> will think it's an NMU.  This is because it simply compares both
> strings, without first converting both into UTF-8 (some people have
> ASCII (or Latin) in control and UTF-8 in changelog).  The second
> problem is that it sends mail with whatever encoding is used - that
> means, it sends UTF-8 stuff which is against some RFC.
>
> (The practical answer to your question is: just use UTF-8 in both.)

Thank you. I looked at it again, it seems the practical consequence is
that bug closing mails to debian-devel-changes etc. will come from a
strange person called "Frank Küster <frank@kuesterei.ch>". I think I
can stand this. And it will remind people that once the scripts will
have to be fixed... I don't have any idea (besides: look at how Emacs
does it, there's work going on on this.)

Regards, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie