Re: Maintainer: field in .changes

Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com> wrote:

> Maintainer: field in debian/control contains their ASCIIfied[0] name,
[...]
> [0] this must match that given in changelog for bugs to correctly close,
>     so not using UTF-8 characters is important.

What are the problems with UTF-8 in control? I am using UTF-8 in
debian/changelog and debian/control. I've done that because I read that
changelog has to be in utf-8 before I heard of any problems with utf-8
in control.

And it has worked since then: My sponsor has uploaded the packages with
my name in the Maintainer field, and I got the "#nnn has been closed"
messages. And my name does contain non-ASCII characters.

Will I get problems in the future, or will it keep working now that it
worked four times?

TIA, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie