Re: RFS: libxml-libxml-perl etc. to fix libxml-filter-xslt-perl FTBFS

On Saturday 17 January 2004 03:47 am, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 12:29:14AM -0800, Michael K. Edwards wrote:
> > I could use an upload sponsor for these packages, preferably before
> > libxml-filter-xslt-perl is removed from unstable due to FTBFS:

Thanks for looking at these!

> > libxml-libxml-perl (I am maintainer; this will be my second upload, and
> > contains a major overhaul of the XSUB code)
>
> On powerpc, 'make test' fails:
>
> t/02parse...........NOK 454# Failed test 454 in t/02parse.t at line 681
> #  t/02parse.t line 681 is:     ok( $@ =~ /^:0:/ );
> t/02parse...........FAILED test 454
>         Failed 1/460 tests, 99.78% okay

This is a regression in libxml2 handling of line numbers (it seems to ignore
xmlLineNumbersDefault( 0 ); now).  Basically harmless, left in so that I can
track it down in libxml2.

> t/11memory..........skipped
>         all skipped: no reason given

Slow test, disabled by default upstream.  export MEMORY_TEST=1
MEMORY_TIMES=100 to run it.  There are still a couple of memory leaks
relating to code that croaks out from inside a callback, but I've managed to
eliminate leakage of almost everything but perl SVs (much harder to debug),
cutting the leakage about tenfold for large values of MEMORY_TIMES.

> t/26schema..........ok 2/6Element has no name nor ref
> Facet pattern has no value
> Element has no name nor ref
> t/26schema..........dubious
>         Test returned status 255 (wstat 65280, 0xff00)
> DIED. FAILED tests 3-6
>         Failed 4/6 tests, 33.33% okay

XML Schema and RELAX NG support are very new in libxml2; this tests cleanly
with current CVS libxml2, for which I have an updated package.  I will offer
it to the libxml2 maintainer (who, it appears, could use some help) once
2.6.5 releases, which is expected to be within the week.

> Failed Test  Stat Wstat Total Fail  Failed  List of Failed
>---- t/02parse.t               460    1   0.22%  454
> t/26schema.t  255 65280     6    8 133.33%  3-6
> 1 test skipped.
> Failed 2/24 test scripts, 91.67% okay. 5/1079 subtests failed, 99.54% okay.
>
> Are these architecture-specific or not? Do you need help in
> investigating them?

None of these is architecture-specific.  FWIW, I generally test on i386 and
powerpc before RFS'ing.  I have also been working with irc.perl.org #axkit
regulars to test on other perl and libxml2 versions and other dists.  These
changes will be submitted upstream once I have finished a refactoring pass
that cuts down the size of the patch to something more easily reviewed.

> > libxml-sax-writer-perl (orphaned; I would like to adopt; the one
> > outstanding bug is fixed in this rev)
> >
> > libxml-libxslt-perl (orphaned; I would like to adopt; undoes NMU
> > workaround for a bug that was really in libxml-libxml-perl)

The current version in my repository also fixes a double-free bug that would,
I think, be severity Serious (intermittent crashes in applications using it).

> > libxml-filter-xslt-perl (orphaned; I would like to adopt; about to be
> > removed from sid due to FTBFS, which was mostly the fault of
> > libxml-libxml-perl)
>
> These are all marked ITA by Jay Bonci (cced). Have you confirmed with
> him that he's OK with you taking them?
>
> That said, the ITA was several months ago ...

He and I have discussed the matter and agreed that co-maintenance is a good
general strategy for these and the other AxKit dependencies I am working on.
I neglected to add him to debian/control, and would appreciate if you would
do so.

> Cheers,
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]