Re: minimum package name length

Tilman Koschnick <lists@subnetz.org> wrote:

> One question though: Is there any problem if my
> c3-tool-suite_4.0.1.orig.tar.gz unpacks into c3-4.0.1/? dpkg-source and
> dpkg-buildpackage don't seem to have a problem with it, but are there
> any other pitfalls with differing upstream-tarball names and
> orig.tar.gz-tarball names?

I'm not a dpkg expert, but I think, no. The way dpkg-source handles
orig.tar.gz files was designed to be kind of robust with respect to,
well, strange upstream decisions[1]. And I think any other tool that is not
as robust as dpkg-source is can be called buggy.

Regards, Frank

[1] It can even cope with tarballs unpacking into multiple directories,
instead of one.
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich